Friday, December 3, 2010

Course Reflection

Study and research have taken on a whole new level. When I started my schooling in the early 1970s we sat in the class and were talked at for the day (that is my recollection). Information for projects was sourced from ‘Project packs’ available from newsagents or from my Mother’s 1954 Everyman’s Encyclopaedia (I think she still has it). If more information was required I would go to the school library or in very extreme cased the local Council Library.

Schools and education have taken on a new role. At Southern Cross we have ‘Learning Facilitators’ who mentor students through a range of educational mazes to assist them in learning. The emphasis being being on the students' responsibility to do the learning rather than it being a teacher's responsibility to teach. A very minor but important shift in thinking.

Many of the applications I found to be interesting but of little practical value. Others such as iGoogle, Blogger and Google docs are great additions to my suite of IT skills.

Cathy Ryan’s Module 7 blog hit home a great lesson in all this online content. What a huge loss of information that can be partially prevented by storing information online. (this is the blog I made a comment on http://catherinemryan.blogspot.com ).

The Web 2.0 course has been a great learning experience that I have gained a great deal from to use both professionally and personally. It has also illustrated to me how much I don’t know about the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment